When there is something in your mind that you can’t stop worrying about – try applying the 12 step Worry Test.
1. Will worrying help the situation? Will it make a positive difference?
2. Will it make things worse in the meantime? Will it negatively affect my health, my relationships, my general state of mind?
3. Can I do anything about this? If Yes – then do it. If No – then why worry?
4. What is the worst that can happen? Can I handle that?
5. Is the end result of what I am concerned about something important? Or rather insignificant?
6. Is the degree of worry proportionate to the problem?
7. What can I do to distract myself positively and get me out of this “head space”? (like taking the needle out of a groove in a record.)
8. If things don’t go the way I would like and my worry eventuates, what is one positive result? What can I learn from, or take, from this?
9. Is there something I need to let go?
10. Is there anything I am not admitting to myself?
11. Do I enjoy worrying?
12. Why should I worry about this?